The Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts creates and manages residencies at the intersections of arts, humanities, science and technology. Our residencies take many shapes—from unplugged solo retreats in the woods to collaborative projects in research labs, field stations and interdisciplinary settings. We work with each resident to co-create an experience that is supportive and generative.
Our residency and fellowship network:
- Values research and the creative process, not just final projects.
- Supports flexible residencies that acknowledge creativity doesn’t happen in isolation. We encourage collaborators and work closely with residents to offer flexible scheduling whenever possible.
- Supports diverse voices historically underrepresented in residency programs.
- Encourages interdisciplinary thinking by connecting artists with researchers and scholars.
- Creates opportunities to present work to the public, especially through performances and events at the Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts.
Whether you are a musician or visual artist fascinated by the idea of long-term engagement with a science or engineering lab at OSU, a writer craving a couple of weeks at a quiet cabin, or a humanities scholar wanting to bring together a dream team of collaborators, we invite you to browse our opportunities to find the residencies and fellowships that meet your needs.
PRAx offers opportunities at various residency locations, including a cabin in the Coast Range Mountains, a long-term research forest in the Oregon Cascade Range and a marine science hub on the coast. Through a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation, PRAx and the Polar STEAM project help facilitate residencies for artists and writers in Antarctica.